Meet Our PGA Professionals
Ko Olina’s PGA Professionals. Dedicated to your improvement & enjoyment of the game!
GREG NICHOLS, PGA
General Manager and Director of Golf
Greg grew up in Maryland, just outside of Washington D.C. and fell in love with the game of golf at first sight when he had the opportunity to play his first 9 holes of golf at age 13. He then moved to Hawaii in 1971 for his sophomore year at University of Hawaii. Upon graduation from the University of Maryland, Greg entered the Hawaiian golf industry, working in food and beverage and golf course maintenance positions at Hawaii Kai GC and Honolulu CC before turning professional and accepting a position at the historic Waialae CC in 1979. In 1986, Greg was promoted to Head Professional, where he served until 2002, at which time he accepted a position at Ko Olina Golf Club to serve as General Manager & Director of Golf.
- Member of the TaylorMade Presidential Emeritus Advisory Board
- Co-Founder of Hawaii State Junior Golf Association, 1998
- Founder & Chairman of the ASPGA Golf Industry Conference, a business conference held biannually since 1998
- Founder & Chairman and Founder of Hawaii Junior Golf Day, since 2010, a statewide program offering introductory golf experience to over 500 juniors annually at 12 golf facilities around the state. This program has introduced the game to over 3,500 youngers.
- Founder, Aloha Section PGA “Get into Golf Hawaii” Program, 1998 – 2002 an introductory golf-in-schools program that introduced the game of golf to over 1,000 children
- Hosted golf clinics with Top 100 Golf Instructors Gary Wiren, Chuck Cook, Stan Utley, LPGA Tour Players Jan Stephenson, Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, Christine Kim,PGA Tour Players Tadd Fujikawa, Scott Simpson, Parker McLachlin, European PGA Tour Player Matthew Zion, and Mike Malaska.
- Won ASPGA Head Professional-Assistant Professional Championship 1986
- National Finalist for PGA Junior Golf Leader of the Year Award
- National Finalist for PGA President’s Award recognizing contributions towards Growth of the Game.
- Aloha Section PGA Golf Professional of the Year Award – 1990 & 2002
- Aloha Section Presidents Award for Promotion of the Game – 2006, 2009
- Aloha Section PGA Merchandiser of the Year, multiple years
- Aloha Section PGA Horton Smith Award for contributions to Education 1989 & 2001
- Aloha Section PGA Junior Golf Leader Award – 2002
- Aloha Section PGA Bill Strausbaugh Award for mentoring contributions – 2004
- Chairman of the Tadd Fujikawa Invitational, an annual fundraising tournament benefitting the March of Dimes mission to prevent premature births and resulting birth defects as a result.
- Recognized in Legends of Hawaii Golf, The First Century, by Rob Sandler, 1998 as one of nine legendary golf professionals in Hawaii.
- Contributing golf writer for two Hawaii publications, High Luxury Magazine and Pacific Edge Magazine.
KEVIN SHIMOMURA, PGA
Director of Player Development
Kevin grew up on the island of Maui where he worked at the prestigious Kapalua Golf Club before joining the Ko Olina Team back in 2010. Growing up around competitive golf, he developed a passion for the game. He is now our Director of Player Development and now looks to share his knowledge and experiences to help golfers of all ages and skill levels reach their goals and potential. He believes that all golf swings are unique and strives to develop correct concepts, a feel, and an understanding for each of his students to attain their desired goals. Some of his awards and accolades include:
- PGA Class ‘A’ Golf Professional
- Golf Digest “The Best Teachers in Your State” Award for 2017-2018
- 2016-2017 Golf Digest Best Young Teachers in America Under 40
- 2014 Aloha Section PGA Player of the Year
- 2017 & 2013 Aloha Section PGA Assistant Golf Professional of the Year
- 2016 Aloha Section PGA Junior Golf Leader Award
- Winner of the 2014 Aloha Section PGA VISA Hall of Fame Championship
- Winner of the 2014 & 2010 Aloha Section PGA Assistants Championship
- Winner of the 2014 & 2012 Aloha Section PGA Assistants 4-Ball Team Championship
- Winner of the 2011 Aloha Section PGA 4-Ball Match Play Tournament
- Winner of the 2011 Oakley Pro-Am Tournament
- Qualified and played in 2014 & 2010 PGA Assistants National Championship
- Qualified and played in 2015 PGA Professional National Championship
- 2017-2019 Aloha Section PGA Board of Directors
- 2017-2019 Aloha Section PGA Teaching Committee Chairman
- 2015-2017 Aloha Section PGA Board of Directors
- 2015-2017 Aloha Section Education Committee
- TaylorMade Professional Staff Member
- Adidas Professional Staff Member
First Assistant Professional
Originally from just outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, T.J. started playing golf at age 11 and immediately fell in love with the game. T.J. started his career in golf in 2008, working from an entry-level position at a daily-fee course, to becoming a First Assistant Professional by 2012. Before coming to Ko Olina in August 2017, T.J. made stops at other illustrious resort courses such as The Coeur d’Alene Resort in Idaho, as well as Manele Golf Course on the island of Lana’i, where he was the First Assistant Professional at both facilities. T.J. believes in a quote by the late, great Arnold Palmer when it comes to instruction; “Swing your swing.” There are many ways to make a great move at the ball, you just need to master your own. T.J. is currently a Staff Professional with Cobra/Puma.
Rich Sung, PGA
In 2015, Rich graduated from Campbell University with a degree in Business management and received his PGA Class “A” membership. Right after graduation, he moved to Hawaii and began his position at Ko Olina, where he has been a great asset to the team. He continued his education and received his TPI certification (Titleist Performance Institute) and became a Certified US Kids teacher. He is one of the few on the island to have the certification. Rich works well with younger kids and beginners. He is currently in charge of the Ko Olina Kidz Club classes for ages 5 to 12.
성민규 (리차드) 프로는 2015년 Campbell University에서 비지니스 매니지먼트 학사과정 졸업 및 PGA 클래스 A 멤버쉽 취득 후 현재 코올리나 골프 클럽에서 근무하며 뛰어난 코치로 인정받고 있습니다. 대학 졸업이후에도 TPI (Titleist Performance Institution) 수료를 통해 현재 하와이에서 몇명 되지 않는 미국 국가공인 어린이 골프 강사로 활동 중입니다. 뿐만아니라, 성프로는 초급자분들과 아이들과 어울리며 개인의 수준에 맞는 코칭을 제공하며, 현재 코올리나 골프 클럽의 5세에서 12세의 주니어 골프 아카데미를 담당하고 있습니다.
- PGA Class ‘A’ Golf Professional
- TPI certified Coach Level 1
- US Kids Certified Coach
- Nike Golf Professional Staff Member
- Korean Speaking
Andrew Ka-ne is born and raised in a small town called Kahuku where he picked up the game of golf. He once told his dad that golf is a senseless game, hitting a white ball and chasing after it. Little did he know that golf would be his passion.
He played on the golf team for Kahuku for four years. He then pursued going to the Golf Academy of America in San Diego California. Soon after graduating from the Academy he returned home and now is currently at Ko Olina Golf Club.
At Ko Olina he is involved with the Sunday Kids Club, Get Golf Ready, Daily Clinics, and Private Lessons. He also takes pride in teaching a non-profit organization called Hookipa, this program gives the kids from the Nanakuli area the opportunity to learn about golf and life lessons.
Born and raised on the Big Island, Kamai grew up playing baseball for the majority of his youth and did not actually start playing golf until his grandfather introduced him to the game at 16 years old. Kamai fell in love with the competitive aspect of the sport and was primarily self taught. Kamai then joined his high school golf team. It was after working with Kelvin Miyahira, one of the best instructors in Hawaii, who opened his eyes to the teaching and instruction aspect of golf. Kamai believes in clubface stability and rotation to create longer and more accurate shots. Having spent some time with the junior golf programs we offer, Kamai says should also be fun and entertaining as well as challenging and competitive.
Gary developed a passion for golf through his 10 years of service as a Guest Service staff member at KoOlina Golf Club, and in 2017 Gary became an Assistant Golf Professional. As a believer in giving back to the community, Gary assists as one of the coaches of the Ho’okipa I Ko’opela Junior golf program. Gary takes great satisfaction in teaching and seeing the development of his students in the KoOlina Kidz Club and all levels of his Get Golf Ready (GGR) students. Gary is able to help all students from the young to the seasoned golfer and is available for daily clinics, private lessons, and group classes.